Monday, March 10, 2008

Worst BBQ ever

It is always disappointing to go to a BBQ restaurant looking forward to great food and getting something looks and tastes like it was made by a dilapidated Walrus. Such is the case with Jake's Winn Dixie Roadhouse in Waltham, MA.

Fresh off having made my own beef Brisket I was really eager to try some of the same thing made the old fashioned way by smoking it for 18-24 hours. This place had the gall to make allusions to smoking their meats using a variety of woods on their menu. I ordered the beef brisket and was presented with a plate of dry, tasteless brisket with about a tablespoon of average BBQ sauce. I knew right away I was in for a bad meal as I had some difficulty cutting through the meat right from the beginning. It was just blatantly obvious that this meat had not been prepared properly as it should have cut easily and been tender. I sampled my friends burnt ends which weren't terrible, but were also so doused in sauce that it would have been hard to tell if it was bad or not.

The Corn Bread was extremely dry borderline burnt. The baked beans and coleslaw weren't terrible, but that isn't why you go to a BBQ restaurant in the first place. One thing that I liked about the place was they served each meal with a slice of fresh watermelon. I think that is probably the perfect finisher to a BBQ meal as it is sweet, not too heavy and really refreshing. I would've needed a truckload of watermelon to get the taste of that crappy brisket out of my mouth. I will leave the link only in hopes that people will recognize the site and will not go here in the future. There are far too many good places out there to have to tolerate this kind of BBQ.

No comments: