Sunday, December 28, 2008

Research

I've been in a bit of rut the past couple weeks. I've been itching to make some bbq, but have not found the occasion to. I have been waiting eagerly for New Year's Eve so I can make some pulled pork sliders for a party I am going to. As always, I like to do a little field research to inspire some good BBQ mojo. I can think of no better place in NYC than Daisy May's BBQ on 46th Street and 11th Ave.

This place is just hands down the best barbeque in the city. It's location is a little unassuming in hell's kitchen, but it's food speaks volumes. I had the barbequed brisket with creamed spinach and brown sugar sweet potatoes.
The brisket was tender and had a sweet/spicy sauce that perfectly complemented the smoked meat. The sweet potatoes were smooth and creamy. I could eat these sweet potatoes all day long. The spinach was also quite creamy and provided a nice savory balance to the sweet potatoes.
My buddy got this amazing beef rib pictured above. This rib was Fred Flintstone size. I was fortunately that he could not finish it so I was able to get a taste. I was a little concerned that a rib of that size might be a little dry and stringy, but I was pleasantly surprised by how tender and flavorful the meat was. It just melted in your mouth. The sauce was similar to that of the beef brisket and worked well with the tender rib meat.

All in all an amazing BBQ experience. Daisy May's continues to deliver top notch barbeque food. I'm a little worried that their location holding them back, but they have been there a long time so I'm sure they will be alright. It's nice being able to go and not have to wait in the ridiculous lines that plague some of the other BBQ restaurants in the city. The funny thing is that crummy bbq joints like Dallas BBQ have no problem packing the place, just because they are located in times square.

I feel ready to begin putting together my sliders. Recipe to follow in the new year...

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

What kind of rolls do you use for your sliders? I've tried the dollar rolls with fairly good results but now am thinking of trying to make my own by rolling out bread dough and cutting them with a biscuit cutter, in hopes they will be a bit thinner then those thick dollar rolls.

Jared said...

I was planning on going the dollar roll route. I do like the idea of making my own rolls from scratch, but I am not much of baker so I think I will stick with the store bought rolls and focus my energies on the meat.

I say go for it if you have the time. Fresh baked rolls will always be better than anything you buy in the store.

Thanks for reading.

That Girl said...

We came so close to eating at Daisy Mae when we were in New York a couple weeks ago, but there was too much to eat and not enough time!

Jared said...

That Girl -

Sorry to hear that you missed Daisy Mae's. Next time in NY you must make time to go there. You will not be disappointed. Did you eat any other good BBQ places while you were in town?